The Sports Medicine team at Ross Medical Group offers personalized care including evaluation and treatment services to professional, amateur and recreational athletes of all ages and abilities. The goal of Primary Care Sports Medicine is to help patients decrease their pain and improve function, so that they can safely get back to their activities. We offer comprehensive treatment and rehabilitation plans with the goal to get you healthy and active so you can perform at your best.
David A. Ross, MD
Dr. David A. Ross specializes in Primary Care Sports Medicine and is dual board certified in both Primary Care Sports Medicine and Family Medicine. While training at The University of Pennsylvania for his Sports Medicine Fellowship, Dr. Ross served as a team physician for the NHL Philadelphia Flyers and NFL Philadelphia Eagles. He has experience caring for professional athletes in the primary care sports medicine and family medicine settings. He specializes in diagnosing and treating acute and chronic musculoskeletal conditions as well as general medical conditions in athletes.
Dr. Ross also served as a team physician for the Ivy League NCAA Division I University of Pennsylvania Quakers – where he cared for athletes in all of the University’s 36 varsity sports teams, including the Football, Lacrosse, Basketball, Track and Field, Wrestling, Gymnastics, Tennis, Soccer, and Baseball teams, among others.
He was a Medical Captain for the Philadelphia Half Marathon, and has experience caring for athletes during the Philadelphia Marathon, Triathlon, and the Special Olympics. He has experience caring for pediatric, adult and masters athletes. He also has teaching experience in lecturing Family Medicine Residents as well as Medical Students at The University of Pennsylvania.
Dr. Ross also completed his Family Medicine Residency training at the University of Pennsylvania, where he focused on Hospital Medicine. He continued to practice Hospital Medicine during his Fellowship at the Hospital of The University of Pennsylvania. He is comfortable caring for patients with any acute medical problems that require hospitalization and values the continuity he shares with patients on both the outpatient office and inpatient hospital aspects of medical care.
Dr. Ross was born and raised in Miami and is an avid local sports fan. He completed his Medical School education at The State University of New York Downstate Medical Center, and completed his undergraduate education at Washington University in St. Louis – where he earned a double major in Finance and Healthcare Management. He has published numerous journal articles related to musculoskeletal conditions and has also published several book chapters in medical textbooks.
- Pre-participation Physical Exams
- Concussion Evaluation And Management
- Sports Dermatology
- Return To Play Decisions After Illness Or Injury
- Pediatric Sports Medicine
- Female Athlete Triad
- Exercise Induced Compartment Syndrome
- Knee Injuries
- Knee Osteoarthritis
- Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome
- Patellar Tendonitis
- Meniscus Injuries
- Knee Bursitis
- Ligament Injuries (ACL/PCL/MCL/LCL)
- Osgood-Schlatter Disease
- Foot And Ankle Injuries
- Ankle Sprains
- Stress Fractures
- Shin Splints
- Peroneal Tendonitis
- Turf Toe
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Achilles Tendonitis
- Sever’s Disease
- Wrist And Hand Injuries
- Wrist Sprains
- DeQuervains Tenosynovitis
- Trigger Finger
- Tendonitis and Sprains/Strains
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Thumb Arthritis
- Finger Injuries and Fractures
- Shoulder Injuries
- Acromioclavicular Injuries
- Impingement Syndrome and Subacromial Bursitis
- Rotator Cuff Tears
- Glenohumeral Arthritis
- Biceps Tendonitis
- Frozen Shoulder
- Scapular Dyskinesis
- Elbow Injuries
- Lateral Epicondylitis (Tennis Elbow)
- Medial Epicondylitis (Golfer’s Elbow)
- Hip Injuries
- Hip Bursitis
- Sports Hernias
- Hamstring Sprains/Strains
- Quadraceps Sprains/Strains
- IT Band Injuries
Services and Treatments
- Comprehensive Concussion Evaluation and Management – We provide baseline concussion testing, acute concussion evaluation and concussion recovery treatment plans including neuropsychological and vestibulo-ocular testing.
- Pre-Participation Physical Exams – We offer comprehensive pre-participation physical exams for a variety of athletes of all age ranges. Physical exams include a detailed review of your medical and family history, a comprehensive sport specific physical exam and can include cardiac screening, bloodwork and baseline concussion testing as needed.
- Joint Injections and Aspirations – We offer joint injections and aspirations for a variety of conditions including swollen joints and osteoarthritis.
- Viscosupplementation Injections – Viscosupplementation is a treatment option for those with arthritis of the knee. It is administered through a series of injections into the joint. It is believed that by replacing the thinned synovial fluid of the arthritic joint by Hyaluronic Acid (a naturally occurring substance in healthy joint fluid) that lubrication will again be provided for the joint. Increased protection of the joint and decreased pain is the expectant result. The typical patient who would consider viscosupplementation has knee arthritis and has failed or had limited improvement with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, analgesics, and therapeutic exercises. It may be considered in those who are trying to delay or are simply not candidates for a knee replacement surgery.
- Bracing and Splinting – We offer in house bracing for all injuries and overuse conditions. You will leave our office with a properly fitting and appropriate brace for your musculoskeletal condition.
- Patient Education – Dr. Ross is committed to educating his patients about their musculoskeletal conditions. With his background in academic medicine, Dr. Ross believes that educating patients about their conditions and their treatment plan will give patients the best opportunity to recover and heal.
- In House X-Ray – On-site X-Ray services are offered in order to help diagnose your condition as efficiently as possible. Dr. Ross will go over your X-Ray with you in person before you leave your visit.
- Compartment Testing – Dr. Ross is specialty trained in the evaluation and diagnosis of exercise induced compartment syndrome as well as providing comprehensive treatment plans to athletes. Compartment testing is offered in house at Ross Medical Group.
- Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation – Personalized one on one physical therapy is offered in-house at Ross Medical Group. Communication between your physician and physical therapist is seamless and in real time, offering you the best opportunity to recover as quickly and effectively as possible to get you back to being active.